Monday, December 23, 2013

A Coffee Growing Community in Our "Backyard"

Coffee farmer, Mang Romy with his grandson (Photo by Kimmy Baraoidan)
Stopping by coffee farmer Pet's house (Photo by Kimmy Baraoidan)
That's me checking out the ripe robusta coffee cherries (Photo by Chris Quintana)

Sonny Martires of Yakap Kalikasan told me several months ago about a small community of arabica and robusta coffee growers in Mt. Makiling. He asked me if I was interested to check it out. 


Coincidentally, my friend, Kimmy Baraoidan, was looking for a thesis topic for her master's in sociology. Together with our friend, Chris Quintana, we went to the coffee community to check out the plantations and the coffee farmers.


We're planning to get small batches of coffee from these small-scale coffee farmers. Also, it would be great if we can teach the community to use organic methods of coffee growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment